Recovery Programs in Louisville, KY
Recovery programs help people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol break the physical addiction and address the complex underlying psychological issues that led to the abuse and addiction. Specialized recovery programs are also available for certain cultural demographics, such as men- or women-only programs, religious-based centers, and programs based on sexual orientation.
It is important to seek help as soon as possible for the most effective addiction treatment. For more information on recovery and the programs available, call Louisville Drug Treatment Centers at (877) 804-1531.
Four Models of Treatment Therapies in Recovery Programs
Addiction treatment therapies generally fall into four categories.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy helps patients increase their level of self-awareness surrounding the addiction. Patients learn the relationship between their thoughts and behaviors and learn ways to replace harmful thoughts and behaviors with productive and healthy ones.
- Motivational interviewing leads patients to identify their own personal reasons for wanting to recover. This type of therapy helps those with ambivalence toward recovery resolve those feelings.
- Family therapy helps restore function within families by helping family members communicate with one another in effective and healthy ways.
- Motivational incentives provide patients with external and tangible rewards, such as cash or gift certificates, for maintaining sobriety, attending meetings, and reaching personal goals.
Types of Treatment Therapies in Recovery Programs
A holistic approach to treatment is usually the focus of high quality drug addiction treatment programs. Both traditional and alternative therapies are used during and after treatment to address the wide variety of individual issues pertaining to drug and alcohol abuse and addiction.
- SMART Recovery is a community-based program that's an alternative to 12-Step programs. Smart Recovery is based on four points of recovery: coping with cravings, living a balanced lifestyle, managing thoughts, feelings, emotions, and behaviors, and maintaining motivation to recover.
- 12-Step programs offer sponsorship, which ensures that those new to recovery have someone available at all times to help them through difficult periods. These programs also offer a high level of personal accountability and enable those in various stages of recovery to receive and offer support from peers and share resources.
- Biofeedback is a stress management program that teaches patients to use deep breathing, progressive relaxation, and other techniques to combat the body's involuntary responses to stress, such as high blood pressure and muscle tension.
- Art and music therapy offers patients a creative way to synthesize experiences and communicate emotions in a safe and productive way. Creating or responding to art and music relieves stress, offers enjoyment, and draws on patients' innate creative abilities to promote overall healthy self-expression.
- Moral reconation therapy leads patients to identify their purpose in life, increase self-efficacy, and bring about greater self-awareness to achieve a level of moral reasoning that considers the greater good of both the individual and society as a whole in all decisions.
The Principles of Effective Treatment in Recovery Programs
Years of research have culminated in the development of the Principles of Effective Treatment, which are research-based guidelines for providing the best possible treatment for addiction. The Principles include acknowledging that:
- Addiction is a highly complex disease that affects brain function and behavior, but it's a treatable, although incurable, condition.
- No single treatment therapy will work for every patient.
- For treatment to be effective, the individual's multiple needs and underlying issues must be addressed in addition to the purely physical aspects of addiction.
- Treatment plans must be individualized to meet the specific needs and challenges of each patient, and the plan must be evaluated continually for effectiveness and to ensure changing and emerging needs and issues are addressed.
- Many people who have a drug or alcohol addiction also have a mental illness, which must be treated at the same time as, but separately from, the addiction.
Don't wait to start treatment. Call Louisville Drug Treatment Centers now at (877) 804-1531.